We are looking to start a new bell ringing team at St Wilfrid’s in the new year and would be interested in hearing from anyone who would be interesting in trying their hand at bell ringing – full training will be given to those with no previous experience.
So what’s involved?
- We ring on Sunday mornings before the Parish Mass and practice each week (while we expect our ringers to be available on some Sundays, we recognise that it is not possible for everyone to turn up every week)
- Learners are taught how to control the bell, they then go on and learn to ring with others and then learn the different “methods” (tunes!)
- Develop a hobby of a life time which is good fun, keeps you fit and serves the Church!
- Make history! Last year we took part in Ringing Remembers and rang a quarter peal for the centenary of the end of the First World War.
- Ring at weddings and get paid!
- Ring at other churches – in recent years we have had outings to Ripon Cathedral and to the West Tanfield area
- Come to our Christmas Party!
Who can take part?
We welcome both adults and children as new recruits. This opportunity is equally available to both worshippers and non-worshippers.
For children, we suggest from school year 6 and above (age 10/11 or older) is a good time to start. You can take part in the bell club and get badges for your progress and if you are in the scouts or guides, you can do bell ringing for scout/guide badges or even for your Duke of Edinburgh Award!
There is no upper age limit for adults, you just need to be able to enjoy taking on new challenges and don’t mind climbing the stairs! (there are 83 steps at St Wilfrid’s)
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get you to one of our practices or arrange a visit for you to try out