St Michael and All Angels, Beckwithshaw

Ringing at Beckwithshaw

6 Bells, 13 cwt in F
Sunday Service Ringing: 10.45am
Practice: Monday (except bank holidays) 6.30pm
Contact: Ann McGeoch

Please check our calendar, in case there may be changes to ringing times

The bell ringers’ group at St Michael’s has now started up again, having been silent in recent years, and four new ringers have now joined us. We are now learning to ring rounds together as a band. If you are interested in joining us then please let us know.

Beckwithshaw Church

St Michael’s Church, Beckwithshaw

History

St Michael’s church was built in 1886 by William Swinden Barber and funded by Dr Henry Williams of Moor Park House and his wife. The church is in an Arts and Craft Movement Gothic Revival style. The base of the tower serves as the porch, with the ringing chamber upstairs.

The six bells were cast at by Mears & Stainbank of Whitechapel in 1886 and are named after Dr Williams, his wife and four children. They hang in a wooden frame of two tiers of 3 bells of each. 1, 3 and 5 hang above 2, 4 and 6 putting the heavier bells upon the west side.

IMG_0164

Bells of St Michael’s

Each bell retains its original wooden headstock although a restoration has seen the fitting of independent crown staples and ball bearings. All clappers, except the third, are of wrought iron. The clapper of the third is of SG-iron, which is a more recent replacement of the original. Traditional stays and sliders are used.

IMG_0167

Treble with wooden headstock

The ropes of the back three bells have traditional Yorkshire Tails – woollen sallies on the tail-ends for backstroke in addition to the usual sallies for handstroke. The ropes of the front three bells have conventional tail ends. Yorkshire tails are becoming very rare – as of 2002, there were only about a dozen towers using them. The spider was made out of half of a rolling pin; the other half serving as the spider at St Peter’s!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Yorkshire tails at Beckwithshaw

Bell Details

Bell Weight (CWT-QTR-LB) Note Diameter Date
1  4-3-20 D 2814 1886
2  5-3-4 C 3034 1886
3  7-0-8 B 3314 1886
4  7-3-13 A 3434 1886
5  9-1-10 G 37″ 1886
6 13-0-15 F 4234 1886

All the bells bear the inscription

MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON. 1886

Additionally each has a name of the donor’s family inscribed on the waist: Joshua (1), John (2), Annie (3), Mary (4), Ellen (5) and Henry (6).

Links

St Michael and All Angels Parish Website

The rise and fall of Yorkshire Tails (Whiting Society)